Skip to content

CAM Birth Story #32: Machesha’s births

In honor of Cesarean Awareness Month 2010, we will be filling the blogosphere with stories from real women (and their families) who know first-hand the consequences of a 32% cesarean rate. Each day we will post at least one birth story submitted by these women. Prepare to be moved (hint: grab a box of Kleenex)!

From Machesha…

My 1st son was born via c-section due to heart decelerations.  The doctors did try to let him/me work through it but ultimately thought it was best we do a c-section.

When I found out I was pregnant again, I went to my doctor that had delivered my 1st son and was advised that since I had had a prior c-section, I would only be able to have a c-section again.  Needless to say I was quite disappointed because I really wanted to try and have a vaginal delivery.  So I set out to find a doctor that would at least let me try to have a vaginal delivery.  I was fine with having another c-section if that became necessary but I at least wanted the option to try for a vaginal delivery.  So I contacted Women’s Health & Surgery Center in my city and they advised me that they did not see any reason why I could not try to have a VBAC.

On December 14, 2009 at 39 weeks and 4 days, my husband and I went into the hospital since I had been having contractions pretty much all day after being seen by the doctor and having my membranes stripped earlier in the day.  I was admitted for observation that night and was 4cm dilated, by the next morning my doctor decided to put me on a low dose of pitocin since my contractions were pretty sporadic.  I received pitocin at 7:00am and then my water was broken at 8:30am after which point I received an epidural to help with the pain.  By 10:00am I was dilated to 9cm.  My second son also started having the same problems as my first with heart decelerations and the doctor advised me they may have to do another c-section.  The nurses kept turning me from one side to the other every 30 minutes and that seemed to do the trick because his heart rate was back in the normal range.  By 12:30pm I was 10cm and it was time to push!  After 1 ½ hours of pushing, Malik was born @ 1:59pm and came in at 7lbs 15oz!  I was so happy!  I had done it!  I got the VBAC I so desperately wanted and give all the credit to the nurses at my hospital and my doctor for giving me the opportunity to try and give it a go on my own.